I deleted my Facebook account in September 2017. I mean, DELETED. It’s gone! Well, sort of. I can’t access it, but i’m sure overlord Zuckerberg can crack it open. And I’m sure he does. my fake internet life was fascinating. I had a few fake marriages, a few fake children, a boatload of selfies around age 26, then I morphed into Political & Angry, like everyone else, then I deleted myself.
I think social media is toxic. The cons outweigh the pros. so, I took all the social media apps off my phone. that helped cut back on the toxicity, but I still find myself checking Instagram smetimes, or Facebook, if someone sends me a link to something. I read Twitter, too, but why? None of these fucking websites make me feel good. Why do I keep looking at them?
For A LONG TIME, I was embarrassed to delete my Facebook, because people were judgmental about it, and I care what people think about me, probably too much. I’ve loosened up with old age (i’m 32 1/2!!) and eventually you realize, these people do not have your best interest in mind, anyway. If they did, they’d set aside their own biases, opinions, and thoughts, and say, ‘do what’s best for yourself, i support you!’ but that isn’t likely to happen, so just do YOU. do you, girlfriend! Now I sound like a really bad motivational poster in some woman’s cubicle.
(I can say that, because I am a woman)
anyway. I got to do me. and I want to go a step further this year. Deleting my accounts wasn’t easy, and I have DREAMS that I reactivate my Facebook..WHAT. that is how lodged the ol Facebook is in my cerebellum. Or my amygdala. Or something up in my brain.
So, this year, I’m done. I’m DONE!
No Twitter, No Facebook, No Instagram. AT ALL.
What are the rules, me?
- No social media apps on your phone (already done)
- No typing in facebook.com or instagram.com in your duckduckgo search bar (i love duckduckgo.com)
- even if someone sends a link to instagram or FB, be honest, say that you dont use those websites. plus it’s usually just a meme anyway. i doubt they’re linking me to some urgent legal matter that i must address by 12 PM. If they had to send me an urgent legal matter, surely they’d TEXT me like a normal person (ugh)
- If the urge strikes to go on social media, pull up a knitting video, spanish video, or listen to music.
- if some dumbass tweet is embedded in a news story, dont click on it (what happened to journalism?)
- if you ‘relapse’ it’s okay, but get back on the wagon asap.
I shall document my progress. It will likely be interesting to no one, except myself. And you! Right? Thanks, you’re the sweetest. I appreciate it.
Okay, here it goes. Day…1. (Yea i know it’s january 6th……just pretend it’s january 1st.)
to remind myself of my darkest days, i attached a selfie from 2012. this was my Selfie Era, and I was incredibly addicted to facebook.
I will blog more about why i am so against social media, as i go. and i will never tell anyone to stop using it, it is your life and you do YOU, as Oprah says. (I think she said that..) But much evidence is emerging that social media is toxic, and i think that is something we all need to be informed about…
(That was a LONG PS)